Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

It's Monday, what's on the cover?


The Bonus

After all of the romance themed novels, it's time for a little history. The Bonus by Georgia Lowe is a fictionalized account of Depression-era war veterans marching toward Washington, D.C. They converge on the nation's capital to demand payment on bonuses they earned during World War I. The government wants to withhold payment. Who knew such a thing happened? I never hear of the Bonus bill until a few weeks ago. I think the cover gives a good sense of the situation. A group of men banding together. It seems very relevant now. They are many who feel present-day soldiers aren't treated fairly.


There Is No Year: A Novel

Every now and then I have to step outside my comfort zone. I read a steady diet of chick lit, YA, literary fiction and memoirs. I'm not sure where There is no Year by Blake Butler fits. I'm about 30 pages in, and I'm intrigued. So far the characters have no names. It's like they're living in a post-apocalyptic world. Nothing is what it seems. They could be anybody. Maybe that's why the cover is so bland. The cover gives no indication as to what the book is about. So far there is no real plot. The chapters are very short. I don't know what is really going on, but I want to. Stay tuned!!


Note: I'm looking for takers for next month's edition of What's Up Tweep's. Here is April's question: Do you post negative book reviews? Why or why not? E-mail responses to bookangel224@gmail.com. Entries are open until April 21. If you have a question or topic that you would like to see discussed here, feel free to e-mail me. Who knows what we can come up with. Happy reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment